martin_amada3Columban Sister Amada Martin died suddenly bur peacefully early on Sunday morning, 21 July, 2013, in the Columban Sisters’ house in San Juan, Manila, Philippines.

May Sister Amada enjoy the everlasting peace of the Lord

The wake took place in the Sanctuarium, Araneta Avenue, Manila, where family members and friends from Lingayen, Pangasinan and Bulacan attend each day.

On Monday,  29 July (10:15am Philippines time), Fr. Brendan Lovett, SSC, was the main celebrant at the Funeral Mass. Burial followed in Holy Cross cemetery.

The Mass Reflection was given by Sister Ann Rita Centeno

“In raising Jesus from the dead he has given us new life and the hope of sharing enduring life beyond death.” 1 Peter 1: 3

The suddenness of Amada’s death took us by surprise.  Sunday mornings in San Juan are usually more quiet that other mornings because it is a chance to take a sleep-in. Our weekly mass is celebrated every Saturday at 5.30 pm with Fr. Brendan Lovett as the presider.  That Saturday morning, Fr. Mike Kalaw, the parish priest of Our Lady of Fatima came to the house for a visit.  It is in his parish where Sisters Minerva and Julie work.  Before leaving, Father Mike gave Sisters Amada and Mercy (who sprained her right foot) the anointing of the sick. 

At our evening Eucharistic liturgy, it was Amada who read the first reading.  She read well and after the mass we had our dinner.  Amada enjoyed her meal and she  even had her favorite “ube” flavor ice cream.  When Father Brendan had left, the next activity was to watch one of her favorite TV programs (Maalaala Mo Kaya), which usually finishes at 9 o’clock in the evening.  We usually watch the program together. That night after the program, she got up to go and we said goodnight to each other,.

Amada was never bedridden.  In fact she was faithful to her daily walk in the morning and in the afternoon as recommended by our family doctor.  In the afternoon, she says her rosary outside the house, in the garden.  About a month ago, she lost her balance and fell hitting her head against the wall.   There was big bump in her head and forehead.  She was taken to the hospital.  An MRI was taken and so was a CT Scan.  Both tests yielded  negative results.  Since her accident, she had been going to St Luke’s Hospital every week for the cleaning and dressing of the wound in her head.  The bruises she sustained on her face gradually disappeared. The daily cleaning and dressing of her wound was done by the caregiver at home. 

At about 9 o’clock in the morning of Sunday, the caregiver and I went to her room, she to dress her wound and I to settle some house accounts.  The caregiver tried to wake her up telling her it was time to get up.  She was sleeping on her left side, her face very peaceful. When she was not responding we immediately called for an ambulance which arrived in about 15 minutes.  The St. Luke’s hospital staff immediately tried to resucitate her but without success. Almost immediately some members of the family arrived.   

Amada was waked at a funeral parlor nearby San Juan.  Two of her cousins from the United States wished to attend the funeral so the wake was extended  to four days.  Masses were celebrated everyday by Columban Fathers and attended by many of Amada’s friends, relatives  and former students from Lingayen, Olongapo  Labrador, Bulacan, London and Caloocan parish where she was an active member of the Legion of Mary..

A number of Columban Fathers concelebrated the funeral mass; the presider was Fr. Brandan Lovett. At the graveside we had a simple ritual of saying our final goodbye to Amada as she was laid to rest beside Sisters M. Campion, M. Oliver, M. Consuelo and Clarita.

“Blessed be God, the source of all life and comfort.”

 Thank you very much for all your prayers and all the messages of support that you have sent us. 

On behalf of all of us in the Philippines,

Sister Ann Rita Centeno


Categories Obituaries