From the beginning
OUR FOUNDING HISTORY
It was because two people shared a vision and answered a similar call that the Missionary Sisters of St Columban came to be.
In December 1917 Fr John Blowick, co-founder of the Columban Fathers (originally called the Maynooth Mission to China) spoke of the urgent need for women collaborators in the new missionary venture in China. This appeal found a ready response in the hearts of many women, one of whom was Lady Frances Moloney who later became Mother Mary Patrick.
Dialogue during the years 1917-1920 brought clarity as to the nature of the new missionary group and in December 1920 permission was granted to found a Missionary Religious Congregation of Sisters who would engage in any apostolate that would further the preaching of the Gospel in China.
February 1922 saw the first group of postulants gathered in Cahiracon. Co Clare, and with the First Profession on September 29, 1924, the young community was officially incorporated in the Church as a public Missionary Religious Congregation. The Congregation became one of pontifical right with the approval of the Constitutions by the Holy See in 1947
( To view details of each Mission select a country)
The growth of the young community moved has moved on through the opening up of missions as follows:
Ireland 1922, China – 1926 with the first foundation in Hanyang. USA – 1930 , Philippines – 1939,
Burma – 1947 , Hong Kong – 1949 , Korea – 1945 ,Peru – 1962, Chile – 1974,
China reopens – 1986, Pakistan – 1990, Myanmar ( Burma) reopens 2003,
The vision deepens; the call continues ……..
If you would like to know more about the Columban Sisters:
E-mail us : email@example.com