Columban Sisters in Ireland
Columban Sisters in Ireland 1922…2013…
For country facts click here
The Columban Sisters were founded in Cahiracon, Co. Clare, Ireland in 1922. Over the years since then, many changes have taken place in the life of the Columban Sisters in Ireland. At the present time, the Sisters have five houses in Dublin in addition to the Motherhouse in Magheramore
From the very beginning, the primary ways in which the Columban Sisters in Ireland supported the Mission was by inviting everyone, young and old, to live out their missionary vocation and assume responsibility for making real in our world the vision of Jesus. Mission promotion and hospitality, along with the Formation and Training of new members, have, from the Congregation’s foundation, been part of the Columban Sisters’ supportive work in Ireland.
Mission promotion includes giving talks in parishes, presentations, newsletters, website etc.
- …working with other groups who strive for a more just world order
- …by supporting those who run events in support of the mission of the Columban Sisters
- …inviting people to consider full-time missionary life, either in the long or short term, as an option for them.
The aim: invite everyone to become involved in missionary outreach.
Over the years, many of our Sisters, who have served in our mission areas in Asia and North & South America, continue with missionary outreach on the home front. They are involved in groups such as the Legion of Mary, Samaritans, St Vincent de Paul, Pilgrim Space, Community Cenacolo etc. as well as parish ministry. They provide resources such as literacy, personal care and faith formation of young people, the homeless and new immigrants.
In 1957, the Motherhouse moved from its original location to a place just outside Wicklow Town called Magheramore. Today, this house serves multiple Congregational needs:
- …as home for the Sisters who have now retired from active missionary work and who continue to support the mission by their ongoing interest and by their prayer and quiet contemplation.
- …as a centre to which Sisters on home leave from their Mission can relax and renew old friendships
- …as a venue for renewal courses for younger sisters from across the Congregation
and after first profession, young sisters need to come .
- …through the BOBBIO RETREAT CENTRE which provides a venue for various groups for courses, prayer etc.
for larger images, please click on the images
To view another country click here
If you would like to know more about the Columban Sisters:
E-mail us : email@example.com