Columban Sisters in Ireland 1922…2013…
The Columban Sisters were founded in Cahiracon, Co. Clare, Ireland in 1922. Over the years since then, many changes have taken place in the life of the Columban Sisters in Ireland. At the present time, the Sisters have five houses in Dublin in addition to the Motherhouse in Magheramore
From the very beginning, the primary ways in which the Columban Sisters in Ireland supported the Mission was by inviting everyone, young and old, to live out their missionary vocation and assume responsibility for making real in our world the vision of Jesus. Mission promotion and hospitality, along with the Formation and Training of new members, have, from the Congregation’s foundation, been part of the Columban Sisters’ supportive work in Ireland.
Mission promotion includes giving talks in parishes, presentations, newsletters, website etc.
The aim: invite everyone to become involved in missionary outreach.
Over the years, many of our Sisters, who have served in our mission areas in Asia and North & South America, continue with missionary outreach on the home front. They are involved in groups such as the Legion of Mary, Samaritans, St Vincent de Paul, Pilgrim Space, Community Cenacolo etc. as well as parish ministry. They provide resources such as literacy, personal care and faith formation of young people, the homeless and new immigrants.
In 1957, the Motherhouse moved from its original location to a place just outside Wicklow Town called Magheramore. Today, this house serves multiple Congregational needs:
for larger images, please click on the images